Our reagent grade 200 proof Ethyl Alcohol (download formula SDA 3A
) is specially denatured with methyl and isopropyl alcohols and meets essential lab requirements and is a good dehydrating agent.
Also known as Ethanol, it is colorless and mixes with water, methanol, ether, chloroform and acetone.
Has multiple industrial uses. Makes an excellent fuel for our M-2149 Alcohol Burner.
- Denatured alcohol formula SDA 3A (200 proof): 89.5 – 91.5% v/v.
- Methanol: 4.0 – 5.0% v/v
- Isopropyl Alcohol: 4.5 – 5.5% v/v.
Caution: Ethyl Alcohol is flammable and a dangerous fire risk. Will only ship to destinations within the continental United States using UPS ground. No air deliveries allowed.
Make Ethanol Jelly
Ethyl Alcohol, when used with Calcium Acetate, is popularly used to make Ethanol Jelly, also known as "California Snowballs", or STERNO.
You can easily create your own ethanol jelly fire-starter by mixing a saturated solution of calcium acetate with ethyl alcohol. This way the ethanol fuel is more practical to store and transport.
Here is the recipe:
- First make a saturated calcium acetate solution by mixing 17 gm calcium acetate with 40ml of water.
- Next, in a separate container, measure about 100ml of ethyl alcohol.
- Add the ethyl alcohol to the calcium acetate solution and stir. You should see a jelly-like substance form instantly.
- Pour off any excess liquid and store the ethanol jelly in a ziplock bag until needed.
Historical note...the basic commercial mixture was invented around 1900 with an evolution since of names. In 1918 the manufacturer promoted the product as a gift for a soldier going overseas. NOW the mixture is commercially called STERNO to use as a food warmer.