Creating this simple illusion utilizes a pH indicator and a change in pH from neutral to basic which causes a clear chemical solution to instantly become a red chemical solution. This kit simulates the color of water and wine using chemically treated solutions. You should NOT drink these chemicals.
Water To Wine Kit Includes...
- 1 oz bottle phenolphthalein solution (pH indicator).
- 1 oz bottle sodium carbonate powder (alkaline chemical to change pH from neutral to basic).
How To Start...
Out of sight of your audience, add about one teaspoon of sodium carbonate powder to about a pint of water in a pitcher and mix until solution appears clear. This will be the "plain water". With two clean wine glasses (or other drinking glasses), add about a teaspoon of the phenolphthalein solution to the bottom of one glass. This will become the "wine" glass.
What To Do...
In front of your audience, pour some of the "plain water" into the empty wine glass. Next, say some magic words and then fill the phenolphthalein treated "wine" glass with the "plain water" and the solution will immediately turn red... WATER TO WINE!
1. Treat one glass with about a teaspoon of phenolphthalein solution.
2. Pour some of the sodium carbonate treated water into the untreated glass.
3. Pour some of the sodium carbonate treated water into the pre-treated phenolphthalein glass and the solution will immediately turn red.
4. This trick shows how just a small amount of phenolphthalein will indicate a change in pH from neutral to basic. Clear water instantly becomes red water. Pour the water down the drain when the demonstration is complete.
Note: this kit simulates the color of water and wine using chemically treated solutions. You should NOT drink these chemicals.